In this posting:
* sit with students in Ithaca, New York, discussing the politics of mental health in Palestine
* details of exciting events in Bradford on Avon; Leicester; Oxford, Brecon and Bristol: film, music, drama, clinical discussion…
1. Mental Health Under Siege: Listen in…
A student group at Cornell University in the USA are holding an event entitled ‘Mental Health Under Siege’ with senior Palestinian clinicians participating by Skype. They are inviting us to listen in too.
Next Friday 21st February for 1 hour – 9.30pm-10.30pm (EST 4.30pm)
Speakers include Ms. Rana Nashashibi, Director of the Palestinian Counselling Center; Dr. Mustafa Qossoqsi, clinical psychologist, psychotherapist, expert in refugee care and a poet; and Dr. Samah Jabra, psychiatrist practicing in the public and the private sectors within Palestine in East Jerusalem and the West Bank. The event will be chaired by psychotherapist Lana Khouri.
To watch and listen in to this event, go to:
News of coming events in the UK:
2. War On The Mind: Trauma, Survival and Resilience: A Conference on Mental Health in Palestine and Israel 14 March 2020
Congratulations to Bradford on Avon Friends of Palestine for organising this line-up: Harry Fear, presenting his documentary “Gaza: Still Alive”; John Soos – Clinical Psychologist and Activist; Mohamed Altawil – Palestine Trauma Centre; Avigail Arbanael Psychotherapist, Writer and Activist; and Maria Chambers – Artist, with Project Hope and Firefly International.
Book tickets here: https://tinyurl.com/rth2aur
3. From Mozart to Khachaturian via Liszt: Classical concerts in Oxford, Brecon and Bristol.
The wonderful organisation PalMusic is presenting three concerts with pianist Iyad Sughayer 22 and 27 Feb, and 5 April. Further details:
More on PalMusic: https://www.facebook.com/PalmusicUK/
4. Drama with Palestinian children
The Hands Up Project is holding a conference in Leicester on Friday 17th April including link-ups to groups in Palestine and Jordan. For the programme go to: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/1fa6feab9b91e57b436fa7ff5/images/62835e78-459b-495b-906b-5445f9bbeae6.jpg
For more on the Hands Up Project, go to: https://handsupproject.org/2020/01/31/imagine-and-fly-with-your-english-over-the-horizon/