On the left UKPMHN’s Guy Shennan after completing the Bristol to London Big Ride for Palestine
Café Palestine: the next meeting is on Saturday 4th September
1. An 11 year old child is murdered: the organisation reporting it is raided by the IDF
a) In the West Bank an 11 year old boy, Mohammad Mo’ayyad Bahjat Abu Sara, has been shot and killed in a village north of Hebron. “Israeli forces routinely unlawfully kill Palestinian children with impunity, resorting to intentional lethal force in situations where children pose no threat,” said Ayed Abu Eqtaish, accountability program director at Defence of the Child International.
b) DCI-Palestine has a worldwide reputation for accurate and consistent advocacy on behalf of Palestinian children. In the same week that it reported the above outrage, DCI’s offices were raided by the IDF. The UKPMHN strongly condemns the IDF’s break-in at DCI’s offices in Ramallah, an attempt by the Occupying regime to undermine DCI’s essential work, and itself a further assault on Palestinian children. The purpose of the raid, filmed here, was to steal the computers and files that document Israel’s crimes against young people.
Find a link to a joint statement by the Global and all national Palestine Mental Health Networks regarding the raid here
2. ‘Israeli police targeted Palestinians with discriminatory arrests, torture and unlawful force. The title of an Amnesty Report into Israel’s intensified repression within Palestine/48, following the attacks upon Palestinian citizens in which police and soldiers were filmed taking part or doing nothing to protect those assaulted.. Jonathan Cook has published his own commentary on the report: Israel: Racist, violent policing is at the heart of apartheid.
3. Sheikh Jarrah: The assault on the Palestinian community continues. Activist Mohammed El-Kurd reports on the ongoing siege of Sheikh Jarrah by the army and settlers, and their attempts to intimidate and displace its residents. The world may have looked away, he writes, but Here in Jerusalem, we Palestinians are still fighting for our homes.
4. Ghosting Palestine: Hiding Health and Human Rights Violations. This is the title of a short article by physician Alice Rothstein, detailing the shameful and cowardly behaviour of our professional associations and journals in the face of pro-Israel lobbyists working to exclude Palestinian perspectives and silence Palestinian voices. The focus of the piece is the retraction of a statement “As Health Care Workers, We Stand in Support of Palestine,” that had appeared in Scientific American. Lobbyists working on behalf of the apartheid state continue their activities in the UK. In December 2020 Channel 4 aired a 9-minute video by Akram Salhad on the outlook of British Palestinians. As reported in Electronic Intifada, the lawfare group UK Lawyers for Israel UKLFI) filed a complaint in the courts. UKLFI had previously filed a complaint, also dismissed, against Medical Aid for Palestinians which, the EI article says, was co-written by Brooke Goldstein, notorious for her ‘there is no such thing as a Palestinian’ speech in the US
5. Trauma is constant for Gaza’s children, This is the title of a recently published article by Isra Saleh el-Namey, in which Dr Yasser Abu Jamei reports that “There has been a discernible increase … in problems associated with childhood stress since the May offensive. Such problems include hyperactivity, disobedience toward parents, nightmares, aches in joints and panic attacks”.
6. Cafe Palestine 27 recording of “The Challenges and Dilemmas facing mental health care activists during the last assault on Gaza (and the violent responses to protest in other parts of Palestine)” with Rozeen Marjieh is available here.