Cafe Palestine 32
Saturday 22nd January
3.45pm (UK time) / 5.45pm (Pal time)
Lara Sheehi and Stephen Sheehi with
Najla Asmar, Yoa’d Ghanadry-Hakim, Fathy Flefel, Wadad Bouchahine and Rana Nashashibi
Moderated by Nadera Shalhoub-Kevorkian and Heba Zaphiriou-Zarifi
“Psychoanalysis Under Occupation: Practicing Resistance in Palestine”
Please use this link to tweet about the Cafe: https://bit.ly/31ZHPEC
The Cafe will open with live music at 3.45pm (UK time) / 5.45pm (Pal time)The discussion will start at 4.00pm (UK) / 6.00pm (Palestine). The whole event is expected to finish at about 5.30pm (UK) / 7.30pm (Palestine)
نوفر خدمة الترجمة إلى اللغة العربية في مقهى فلسطين لمن يحتاجون إلىها، سيكون هناك ملخص حصري ومتداول باللغة العربية للعرض والأسئلة والإجابات
إذا كنت تحتاج إلى الترجمة إلى اللغة العربية، أرسل رسالة إلى الإيميل التالي
firstname.lastname@example.orgستتوفر الترجمة من خلال الانضمام إلى مجموعة في تطبيق الواتساب
|ARABIC TRANSLATION AT CAFE PALESTINE: Throughout Cafe Palestine there will be a rolling Arabic text summary of the presentation, questions and answers available via Whatsapp. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to be added to the Whatsapp Arabic translation group.|
In this newsletter …
1. Café Palestine 32: Psychoanalysis Under Occupation: Practising Resistance in Palestine
2. Makan Workshop ‘Palestinian Justice: Build your knowledge for IAW’
3. Ethnic Cleansing Continues: report and ICAHD webinar
1. Cafe Palestine 32: Psychoanalysis Under Occupation: Practicing Resistance in Palestine
This Cafe will feature a conversation among the Palestinian clinicians who appear in the new book by Lara and Stephen Sheehi, Psychoanalysis Under Occupation: Practicing Resistance in Palestine (Routledge, 2022). Najla Asmar, Yoa’d Ghanadry-Hakim, Fathy Flefel and Wadad Bouchahine and Rana Nashashibi will be among those taking part, along with Lara and Stephen. The Café will be moderated by Nadera Shalhoub-Kevorkian and Heba Zarifi.
2. Makan Workshop ‘Palestinian Justice: Build your knowledge for Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW)’ Online Workshop
Saturday 26th February 2022, 2pm-6.30pm (UK time)
You need to book early if you want to take part in this highly recommended event (by Jan 24th).
The workshop aims to prepare activists for Israeli Apartheid Week by:
– Providing participants with the knowledge necessary to explain how Israel practices apartheid against the entirety of the Palestinian people.
– Helping participants situate the Palestinian cause within the wider context of anti-racism and global anti-racist struggle.
– Picking apart and addressing nuanced talking points presented in the mainstream discourse on Israeli Apartheid in order to effectively deal with difficult questions during Israeli Apartheid Week.
Makan are primarily (but not exclusively) interested in working with students, university staff and other activists based in Britain and Ireland preparing for Israeli Apartheid Week.
Makan also encourage applications from:
– Individuals based abroad who are active and engaged with Palestine (student activists, trade unionists, academics, campaigners, journalists, etc.) and preparing for Israeli Apartheid Week.
– Individuals involved with wider social justice struggles/human rights struggles looking to start/get more involved in Palestine.
– Diaspora Palestinians and Palestinians based abroad or planning to study/work abroad.In order to apply, applicants need to register to be given access to the application.
The deadline for applications is Monday 24th January 6pm (UK time):
3. Ethnic Cleansing Continues: report and ICAHD webinar 18th January
While any expression of opposition to apartheid Israel draws accusations of anti-Semitism, the ethnic cleansing continues. In Silwan, close to the heart of East Jerusalem, 58 Palestinian families in Silwan have cases opened against their properties under the ‘absentees properties’ law, while 84 more face demolition orders for building without permits.
This week the courts have approved the expulsion of another Palestinian family from Jerusalem. The Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions-UK has been campaigning on behalf of the Sumarin family for nearly two years because they are symbolic of what is happening to hundreds of Palestinian families that reside in East Jerusalem. ICAHD has revealed that during 2021 that 937 structures were demolished and 1,119 people displaced in the OPT with a further 12,658 people directly affected. ICAHD-UK and Lambeth and Wandsworth PSC are organising a webinar next Tuesday, 18th January, on ‘Israel’s deepening regime of Apartheid: What you can do’ with Jeff Halper and Linda Ramsden. Click the link for tickets.